I am totally embarrassed that it has taken me 2 weeks to write this post. I did this DIY on April 19. I know it was the 19th because that is my Nana’s birthday. The kids and I were going to visit that day, but she wasn’t feeling well so we ended up having an unexpected afternoon at home.. and unexpected time for a project!!
I have had this rocker in my possession for my entire adult life. When I moved in to my first apartment at 20 the rocker came with me. I didn’t know I was quite so attached to it until it broke and we were trying to decide what to do with it. You can’t just part with something you have rocked your kids to sleep in! And actually it was my parents before mine so I was rocked to sleep in it oh so long ago. Anyway, Skyla and I have a particular connection to the rocking chair as every night after her 2 books she and I rock and sing songs together. It had to be fixed!So it was a bit of a process. And only time will tell if it holds up or not but this is what I did: Supplies I used:
Thick linen fabric
Interfacing: medium weight
craft pliers. I think from an old beading kit
rag appropriate for wiping away glue.
Unscrew and take the seat and seat back off the frame (or ask husband to do this step)
Cut away excess wicker. Leave a little bit to help you pull it all out.
Run the wood/wicker under water. Be patient here. I did google how to do this. I even listened to a creepy computer voice tutorial… which I had to stop about a minute in because it was just too creepy. They all said water would loosen the glue. And it did, but it did take some time. I had a towel underneath eventually and an apron on. It was messy!
Pull all of the wicker and wood out of the channel. Again I’m going to say be patient here. It took me some time. Once I got going it went relatively quickly. I tried using gloves but tore a hole through them. I eventually used the pliers which did help.. It was not a kind project on my hands, lets put it that way.
Let it dry. I put the hoops outside and let them dry while we did our dinner and bath and bed routine. It was a few hours. Not sure it needed that long, but they were dry by the time I got back to them.
Step 6 (the start of the fun parts):
Trace the shape of the hoop (outside) on your fabric. I did exactly that shape!
Cut out the fabric in to the shape you traced (not sure I really needed to make that in to a step?)
Iron on interfacing. (To the back of the fabric!) I wanted to make the fabric as thick and sturdy as possible. You can do step 7 before 8 as well.
Line up/lay out the fabric so you have it all going in the right direction.
Apply glue liberally in to the channel.
Place/shove/tuck fabric in the channel. I used a screw driver here to shove it all in. I started with the 4 corners and then filled in the rest of the spaces with glue/fabric until the whole things was done.
Apply glue in channel again (I used my fingers)
Shove twine in to channel. The original seat had the wicker and then a small piece of wood shoved in to the channel to hold it in. (Wipe away excess glue)
(repeat steps 6-13 with both the rocker back and seat)
Let them dry.
Put the rocker back together, or ask the husband to do this (I like to make him feel like he’s handy)
Cross fingers that it would hold when sat in/on.
I let the chair dry overnight and wouldn’t let the girls touch it in the morning. They admired and wanted to sit in it but it was left to dry all day. I got home before everyone else that day and tested it and put it back in Skyla’s room.
So far (2.5 weeks) it has been fine. Below is a picture taken today. The fabric stretched a little bit initially but seems to be holding this shape.
Don’t know if I would recommend doing what I did, as (again) I am not sure how it is going to hold up. I do know mine turned out cute and will likely last us until she no longer wants to sit in my lap and sing songs before she goes to sleep. As an aside, everyone that has come in to our house since has been taken in to her room and shown the chair and told “my mommy fixed it”. If that doesn’t make it worth the time and effort I’m not sure what would!
Until Next Time,